Thursday, May 25, 2006

Germans in Victoria

Last Saturday my friends Claudi and Micha came to visit me. Yep they came all the way from Germany just to see me (and maybe a little bit of Vancouver Island). Unfortunately they were super tired on Saturday night, which is understandable after such a long flight, and so I couldn't take them out to Victoria's night live. However they insisted on me going out with my friends.



So while they were sleeping Bea, Jen, Russ, Raj, Rachel and me went to Sticky Wicket. Sticky Wicket is a local pub that has a little dance floor and plays cheesy 80th music at the weekend. It is a nice pub offering a great blue drinks (you should try it, not sure what the name is, but it's blue and goooooood). The only think I don't really like is that the crowd there is actually way older than we are and so Russ and I almost got eaten by “Cougars”. We still had a great time there, but this weekend we need to go some place else since I don't necessarily want to be “Cougar Food”, I mean who wants to be “Cougar Food”? Since I was planning on going sightseeing with Claudi and Micha on Sunday morning, I went home a little earlier than my roomies, who once they came home thought it was a great idea to snuggle up with me on the couch. So they were all on the hide-bed-couch lying in top of me, while I was trying to sleep. Actually that was a quite funny scenario...

The next morning Claudi, Micha and I went first for Bubble Tea and then for a long walk through downtown Victoria, passing the fishermen's waft with all it's cute little house boats and a little seal that got feted from all the tourists, further to the breakwater and to Dallas Road, where we took a nap in the sun at the beach. After the nap we went back home, but not without stopping at the Beacon Hill Park Drive-In for some super yummy and huge ice cream. Yumm Yumm. We made it just in time to the car before it started to rain. Oh nooooo rain and we wanted to have another BBQ. Well nothing stops a real BBQ fan and so we still BBQed and Claudi and I were able to show off our new rain jackets, which btw are identically, just that she got hers in Germany and I got mine here. Well no need to say that we both have excellent taste :-) Also the red jacket matched perfectly my red face, that was not sun burned from the day, but that was all covered with cancer, since and that's what Lionel taught me, the UV-B, which gives you cancer, goes though the clouds and UV-A, which gives you a nice smooth tan, does not get trough the clouds. So being outside on a cloudy day without sun block will only give you cancer and no tan at all...


On Monday we had less luck with the weather and it was raining almost all day, which was the reason why our hiking trip was cancelled. But instead of hiking we had a super yummy breakfast and a nice relaxed day, visiting Uvic, walking up Mt. Doug, going for dinner and a movie. Tuesday morning I drop both off at the car rental and now they are on the way to discover the island.

Claudi and Micha enjoying the "view" from Mt. Doug


It was great having them both here in Victoria, showing them where and how I live here and also introducing them to my friends. They will come back for another night to Victoria next week and if time allows I will go over to Vancouver with them as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home