Friday, May 26, 2006

Isn't it ironic ... don't you think

Do you know the right meaning of irony and sarcasm? Well I do, but my dear Canadian friends don't and so I had a good, lively and funny discussion this morning about irony and sarcasm. Canadians, think irony is sarcasm and not that sarcasm is only a sub-form of irony used to hurt people. So here the definition from dictionary.com

Irony:
The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.

Sarcasm:
A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.


I have had this discussion with several Canadians and I actually learned just to skip this topic :-)

2 Comments:

At May 26, 2006 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why I no one loves me here in this country! They don't know the concept of irony, thus don't understand me or think that I am a sarcastic mean German...
lol

 
At May 31, 2006 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home